APPLY: Work Shadowing the Chief Executive of SYP
Entries close 23:59 on Wed 24 Oct
You need to collect 25 pts to apply for opportunity.
About this reward
Interested in youth democracy? You could enjoy a morning of exclusive work shadowing with Ben McKendrick, Chief Executive of the Scottish Youth Parliament (SYP)!
Ben graduated from Edinburgh University in 1998 and worked for two years in various positions in the Scottish Parliament. After that he worked for a public affairs consultancy advising a variety of corporate, public and third sector clients on relationship management and how to interact with the devolved institutions in Scotland.
He then spent eight years in a senior communications role with the British Heart Foundation, and was in charge of government relations in Scotland and Northern Ireland. During that time he completed a Masters in Science qualification at Edinburgh University in Health Inequalities and Public Policy.
Before joining SYP in 2015, Ben worked for Myeloma UK, a rare cancer charity, as their Director of Communications and External Affairs.
His role includes managing the work plan, targets and reporting to Scottish Government and other funders; overall management of the senior management team; ensuring and overseeing the good reputation of SYP; securing funding for the organisation; liaising with external stakeholders to raise the profile of SYP; supporting the SYP Board of Trustees; planning with the Board; and working with the Chair to develop SYP’s growth and long-term prosperity.
About the day:
- Accompany Ben to high profile political or business meeting to learn more about the different relationships SYP has with partners.
- Enjoy a mentoring session with Ben to pick up tips and advice on leadership and political advocacy.
- Sit in on a staff meeting led by Ben to find out more about SYP, the staff team, and the membership.
When: Date to be arranged with successful entrant.
- You must be 16+ to apply for this opportunity.
- Travel expenses up to £30 will be covered. Lunch will be provided.
- There is one space available for this opportunity.
Collect points: Find out more about SYP and collect 25 points.
If you’re a passionate young person aged 14-25, why not make 2019 the year you #Stand4SYP? Register your interest in for SYP’s 2019 Elections and make sure your voice is heard by decision-makers!